“If blood oranges are in season, they go in EVERY dessert.”Edacious One
Blood Orange and Lemon Cake
Serves 2. For 4 days. A slice a day.
- 260g plain flour
- 130g unsalted butter (melted)
- 220g sugar (for the cake)
- 125g sugar (for the blood orange slices)
- 4 eggs
- 200ml creme fraiche or yoghurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 blood orange
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 8.5 inch springform cake tin (this is a tall-ish cake so make sure the cake tin is at least 7cm/ 2.75 inch deep
- Flat bottom fry pan/ non stick pan
- Preheat oven to 170C/ 340F
- Place a sheet of baking paper over the base of the pan and place the ring of the cake tin over the baking paper and latch the clip.
- Thinly slice the blood oranges to 3-4mm thickness
- Place 125g sugar and 3/4 cup of water in the fry pan and mix together
- Add blood oranges and arrange in a single layer
- Cook blood oranges for 25 mins, turning every 10 mins, on low heat until rind is soft and liquid has mostly evaporated. Add more water 1/4 cup at a time if liquid dries up.
- Lay blood orange slices on the bottom of the springform pan
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, lemon zest, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl
- Mix the butter, eggs and creme fraiche/ yoghurt and lemon juice until well combined
- Gently fold in dry ingredients using a spatula until evenly mixed. Do not over mix!
- Pour batter into cake tin and bake on middle rack of oven for 60mins or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour
- Release the cake tin spring and flip the cake onto a serving platter and gently remove cake tin base and baking paper